CANSkate is Skate Canada’s flagship learn-to-skate program. CanSkate is 45 minutes long and is ideal for children ages 5 to 12. Skaters who are 4 years old and have skated before are also welcome to join the CanSkate program.
CANSkate Tots is our learn-to skate program that caters to skaters who are 5 years old or younger and have never skated before. It is based on the same principles of CanSkate. The classes are 30 minutes in length. The focus of this class is to teach skating within a relaxed & fun atmosphere for younger skaters. Groups are kept small, so that as much individual attention as possible is given to young skaters.
Why sign up for CanSkate?
THE BEST CURRICULUM
- A complete series of balance, control and agility skills taught in six stages of learning that pertain to hockey, ringette, speed skating and figure skating as well as general recreational skating.
- Designed for 90% movement so skaters learn in an active and fun group setting.
THE BEST COACHES
- Nationally trained coaches in teaching the mechanics and proper technique of skating.
- Coaches are assisted by trained program assistants.
- Ensures a 1:10 coach/program assistant to skater ratio or lower.
THE BEST START
- Skaters progress at their own rate and coaches make sessions active using teaching aids, upbeat music and a wide variety of activities that create a motivational environment and promote learning. Badges, ribbons and other incentives are used to benchmark skaters’ progress and reward effort and participation.
- Introduces a healthy, lifelong activity at an early age.
- Promotes fun, fitness and participation.
All Skate Canada CanSkate skaters must provide and wear a CSA approved hockey helmet on the ice. Bicycle helmets are not permitted.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many days should my child skate?
For optimum development, we strongly recommend 2 classes per week. Skating is a sport where skills are learned by continuous repetition. The more times a skater can repeat a skill in a week, the faster they will progress.
Do you have equipment rentals?
No. Skaters must supply their own skates and a CSA approved hockey helmet.
What kind of Skates should my child wear?
Skates should fit snugly and have plenty of ankle support. The exact type does not matter until a skater wants to pursue a specific sport.
What should my skater wear?
Skaters should wear warm clothes that will allow them to move freely and mitts or gloves to keep their hands warm. Snowpants/snowsuits are not recommended as they can interfere with movement and/or skates. CSA approved hockey helmets must be worn by all skaters.
Who teaches CanSkate?
CanSkate is taught by NCCP-trained professional coaches, assisted by trained program assistants.
What will my skater learn?
Skaters will learn a complete series of balance, control and agility skills taught in different stages of learning that pertain to hockey, ringette, speed skating and figure skating as well as general recreational skating. CanSkate uses nationally tested and proven curriculum and delivery methods that guarantee skater success in developing stronger basic skills and developing them faster.
What can my skater expect?
Skaters can expect action, movement and fun! Lessons are given in a group format. Skaters progress at their own rate and coaches make sessions active using teaching aids, upbeat music and a wide variety of activities that create a motivational environment and promote learning. Badges, ribbons, and other incentives are used to benchmark skaters’ progress and reward effort and participation.
What comes after CanSkate?
Skaters can join any skating related sport once they learn to skate. Skaters who are interested in figure skating and have passed the stage 3 CanSkate skills may enter the Rising Star program. Rising Star is a transitional program that moves skaters from the CanSkate (learn to skate) to the StarSkate (figure skate) program. Rising Stars skaters will work on edges, turns, stops, spins and jumps in a figure skating environment. Skaters will also be introduced to the fundamentals of movement to music and expression.